Friday, April 16, 2010

April 14, 2010

Hey everyone! How is it going? I hope you guys all had an awesome week! I hear my sisters all went home. That is exciting. I didn't feel too left out though because the husbands all stayed home. Although that was probably pretty exciting for them. All their kids left. haha. Anyway, I hope you guys all had an awesome week!

My week was alright. I am still trying to get used to this new area. I still don't really know my way around too well and I am still trying to get to know the people here. It doesn't help that we were walking this week because we can't get too far from our house and meet people and then make it to our appointments in time. But hopefully it is helping me lose some weight. Although we do get fed really well here. It is kind of amazing. We have a lady named Sis Colbe and she is in charge of our dinner calendar. She makes absolutely sure that we have a dinner every night and the ward is pretty good at it too. It isn't really that big of a ward but people still have to sign up like a month and a half in advance in order to have us over. We will usually get some sort of food from the members we teach throughout the day too so, I eat a lot, haha.

Anyway, this week was alright. Neither of us really know the area at all. So we were just stopping by random people which wasn't working out too well because we have a lot of less active people in our ward so a lot of people didn't want to talk to us. Sunday after church we met with our bishop and we went through the whole ward list and talked about everyone in it and how he thinks we could best help people and which people we probably shouldn't stop by. So that was exciting. I think that is going to help us out a lot. The last two days have been pretty good for us as well. Monday and Tuesday is usually our busiest time here. That's when people will usually have us over to teach them. So we actually had more lessons these last two days then we did all last week. Which isn't really saying all that much but it was pretty exciting. We met with Heather again on Monday and Tuesday. That was awesome. The only bad part is it takes an hour to walk there and it really is uphill both ways! She lives on the other side of a big ravine. Anyway, the lessons went really well. She is doing amazing! She is basically the most golden investigator I might ever get on my mission. She is being baptized on Saturday at 3:30. I am baptizing her. She didn't really chose me though. She didn't care who did it so Bleazard told me that I was going to do it and he assigned two other missionaries the talks and she chose a guy from the east stake, where her friend lives, to confirm her. I got the feeling that he was just trying to get out of doing anything on Saturday... which was really weird, but that is fine with me. I am more then happy to baptize her. I am excited for Saturday. it is going to be a great day for her!

Also, Tuesday night we went to Sam's house. He is amazing. He has basically been taught everything that he can be taught but still doesn't want to be baptized. He was actually really open with us yesterday though. We went over the 17 points of the true church because he had asked me and Elder Winder a question about why if we were all Christian there needed to only be one church. So Elder Winder had been working on that for a couple of weeks even before I got here so he had this big answer for him, but he left before he had the chance to give it to him so Winder just told me to go over the 17 points. It wasn't as good of an answer as Winder had but Sam still really enjoyed it. I think it really helped him and he told us that it really helped him like the church more. But after that he told us that it isn't the beliefs of the church that is worrying him. He believes everything we say and knows that it is all true. But he just doesn't want to be baptized again he feels like he is betraying his first baptism when he was a baby. He said he has had missionaries explain that he wouldn't be doing that at all, but he still feels like his is... so I don't really know what to do with that. But, he did agree to reading the book of Mormon. Which is a pretty big step. He has been taking discussions for nine months or so and still hasn't done any reading. So that will be awesome to talk about next week. (we meet with him every Tuesday) Next week will be sweet because he is also going to feed us Chinese food! Apparently he does that every now and then. I am pretty excited for it. He doesn't make it himself but Elder Winder says it is amazing. And so do the Wodruffs because he sends all of the leftovers home with us. So that will be pretty exciting. I am looking forward to that.

Other than that, this week was alright. I am still trying to get along with my new companion. It's been pretty hard for some reason. I don't really know why. He just has some things that bug me a bit and he eats a lot. (and I mean a lot) I bought a gallon of milk because we were going to trade off buying one every week and it was gone by Friday. We had two and a half loafs of bread and some hotdog buns last week that are now gone. I think I'm going to have to start buying my own food and telling him he can't eat it. He has this weird thing that he does with his neck when he cracks it. He like flings his head around and it kind of looks like he has a really big twitch and he does it all the time. I don't know. Maybe I'm just being too judgmental. But I think after having Elder Glick who was just weird and then having Elder Winder who was awesome for a week and a half. I think I just got used to the idea of having a good companion and that idea kind of got smashed into pieces.

Anyway, I'll work on that I promise. But that is pretty much it from me. I hope you guys have an awesome week! I love you guys!

Love,
Elder Townsend

so... i didnt take too many pictures this week... nothing too exciting happened to take pictures of... bummer eh?

this is me walking across the bridge over the Bow River between our house and Bowness. Bowness is part of our area that used to be a city of its own until Calgary grew to it and then engulfed it. Calgary has done that to a lot of little cities. People here call Bowness the "ghetto"... but i don't think people in Canada know what that word means. Sure it isn't the nicest place ever but it isn't bad. Oh also, it is snowing in this picture! Yes it is the middle of April and it has been snowing the last two or three days... haha
This is just the only other picture I took... I don't even remember why I took it... it is just four little bunnies filled with caramel. They were delicious. I want some more...

No comments:

Post a Comment