Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11, 2011

FYI
Devin's letters will be coming on Tues while he is in this area. He said the little library in Pincher Creek is closed on Mondays. I also told him about how the town was named because some prospectors lost their pincer (a tool to trim horse feet) which was a valuable tool to them and someone found it later rusting in the creek. He said he had heard that but didn't believe it. Devin didn't mention it but it also said there were lots of wind farm development in the area.
Kim



Hello from Pincher Creek, the windiest city in North America! And guess what we do every Pday... we fly kites! OK. not really. That would be funny though... maybe I should get a kite. We had a pretty good week here. It was interesting. Tuesday morning me and Elder Newman woke up and drove to Lethbridge and from there I put my stuff into my new zone leaders truck, Elders Booth and Bradley. (remember Elder Bradley? He was my zone leader in West Calgary for a while. I love him!) and Elder Winder was in the truck as well (my comp I had for like a week and a half before he went home. He's back out! Has been for a little bit actually.) We also had Elder Carmack who was a Mandarin speaking but then last transfer president just said... I think you need to go English. So he did. He seems kind of weird. But the five of us drove to Fort MacLeod where I met up with Elder Lafond and then we came to Pincher Creek. The tiny town of 3500 people. There is a whole ward here though! We cover Brockett (a native reserve) and the Crows Nest Pass branch. So it's an alright area. Not much going on at all. We have three native investigators who aren't really going anywhere and then we have a guy named Brome who is getting baptized on Saturday. He isn't coming back into town until Thursday though so I haven't even met him yet. It seems a little sketchy to me but the missionaries think he's ready and he wants to be baptized so there is nothing holding us back! Even though it seemed like everyone in PEC on Sunday was a little hesitant on us baptizing people. Which is understandable because their last three converts are less active already. sad...

Well, there really isn't much to say about this area. We don't get very many lessons. This ward is really small and it's pretty hard to get in to teach people. There were only 50 people at church on Sunday. They say there is usually 100, but it's been snowing pretty good ever since I got here so they say that kept a lot of people from coming. And as for it being the windiest city in north America... I can believe it. It's pretty bad here. The wind is blowing all the time! Unless it's snowing. And then when it stops the wind blows it around and makes HUGE snow drifts. It's pretty exciting actually.

Me and Elder Lafond are doing pretty well together. I guess it's only been a week, but so far so good. Sometimes he is really weird and it just gets awkward, but I guess that's not too bad. He has an amazing impression of President Archibald and President Monson. It's kind of creepy actually. Sometimes President Monson wakes me up in the morning or President Archibald says our companionship prayers. haha.

But we are having a lot of fun. It's a good area. I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of things I can do here and who I can help while I am here. It seems like we have a pretty good ward. Small but good members. So I think I am going to enjoy it here. I hope I don't stay too long though. Being in this tiny town for 6 months might drive me insane! haha.

Thanks for everything! I love you all and miss you all! Thanks for the support!

Love,
Elder Townsend

The Cervo family. Minus two kids who were sleeping.

Newman, me, Moore, Stevens

Pincher Creek chapel

Shoveling huge drifts off of driveways.... yippee....

No comments:

Post a Comment